|12:00 AM, Dec 7, 2013 • By IRWIN M. STELZER
“Everything’s coming up roses,” a mother reassures her daughter in Gypsy, the 1970s musical chronicling the rise of burlesque dancer Gypsy Rose Lee.
4:59 PM, Dec 6, 2013 • By JOHN MCCORMACK
Senate majority leader Harry Reid tells the Reno Gazette Journal that the Affordable Care Act has made his health insurance a lot les affordable:
"[U]nder Obamacare, my insurance costs me about $4,500 more that it did before. Yes, because it is age-related and it wasn’t like that before.”
4:31 PM, Dec 6, 2013 • By GEOFFREY NORMAN
The studying of Obamacare continues, seemingly without end, and under one scenario, the program may actually accomplish the obverse of its core aim. As David Nather writes at Politico:
3:11 PM, Dec 6, 2013 • By GEOFFREY NORMAN
The post mortems on the launch of Obamacare continue and there are calls for heads – perhaps a lot of them – to roll. The president’s management style has been questioned. Why didn’t he know, and when didn’t he know it? That sort of thing.
Hosted by Michael Graham.2:03 PM, Dec 6, 2013 • By TWS PODCAST
The WEEKLY STANDARD podcast with editor William Kristol on Nelson Mandela, young voters, and more.
1:12 PM, Dec 6, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
Rep. Matt Cartwright, a member of President Obama's Obamacare "strike team," says it's a "good thing" that people are losing their old health care plans:
11:23 AM, Dec 6, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
Eric Cohen, executive director of the Tikvah Fund, interviews Michael Doran, a Brookings Institution senior fellow. They discuss the U.S., the Middle East, and President Obama.
10:04 AM, Dec 6, 2013 • By MICHAEL WARREN
With more than two months into its implementation, most Americans want to see the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, repealed or scaled back, according to a new poll from Gallup. In a survey conducted earlier this week, 20 percent of adults said they want to scale back the health care law, while 32 percent want to see the law repealed entirely for a total of 52 percent.
9:01 AM, Dec 6, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
The press covering Joe Biden's trip Asia caught an unusually frank comment from the vice president. Biden, speaking about himself, reportedly said that his "profound insights on policy are vastly exaggerated, but we do have profound respect for the people of South Korea."
8:31 AM, Dec 6, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
The latest employment data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
The unemployment rate declined from 7.3 percent to 7.0 percent in November, and total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 203,000, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in transportation and warehousing, health care, and manufacturing.
Household Survey Data
6:00 PM, Dec 5, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER
President Barack Obama, on the passing of Nelson Mandela:
STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT ON THE DEATH OF NELSON MANDELA
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
5:25 P.M. EST
Browse 15 Years of the Weekly Standard