Sony Pictures will offer a limited release of its upcoming Seth Rogen-James Franco comedy, The Interview. Sony had pulled the movie from release after several large theater companies said they were cancelling their screenings, citing a threat of terrorist attack from a group that appears to be connected to the North Korean government. CNN reports:
Sony is preparing on Tuesday to announce a release plan for "The Interview" that involves special screenings at a limited number of theaters, according to two sources familiar with the matter.
Two theaters in Atlanta and Austin said on Twitter on Tuesday that they had agreed to show the film, which is about an assassination plot against the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un. It is widely believed that Sony Pictures suffered a cyberattack last month partly due to North Korea's fury over the movie.
Sony may also release the the controversial Seth Rogen comedy through a video-on-demand service.
Sony has yet to officially announce the plan, and its most important constituency -- owners of big movie theater chains -- remain silent about whether they might show it.
In his recent White House press briefing, President Barack Obama said Sony had "made a mistake" by pulling the movie from theaters ahead of its Christmas Day release.