The Blog

Bad Day for a Swim

Deadly fumes force the evacuation of a Las Vegas hotel pool.

2:15 PM, Aug 30, 2010 • By VICTORINO MATUS
Widget tooltip
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts

Last Friday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, at least one hundred guests were sickened by toxic fumes emanating from the pool complex, some 1,500 guests were then evacuated from the vicinity, and 26 were hospitalized for respiratory problems. Luckily, none of the victims' injuries were life-threatening. The cause of the incident, as noted by the Associated Press, was an overabundance of sodium hypochlorite, a major component of chlorine bleach.

Bad Day for a Swim

The good news is the number of deaths due to skank are expected to decline.

Recent Blog Posts

The Weekly Standard Archives

Browse 19 Years of the Weekly Standard

Old covers