The New York Times reports that foreign journalists are among the targets of gangs in Cairo, resulting in some serious injuries and even jail sentences:
The Committee to Protect Journalists was investigating at least two dozen cases of reporters being detained. According to the group, the government told the journalists that they were not being arrested, but rather were being taken into “protective custody.”
Some journalists were attacked so viciously that they required hospitalization. The Fox News Channel said Thursday that two employees, correspondent Greg Palkot and cameraman Olaf Wiig, had been “severely beaten” on Wednesday. The two men spent a night in the hospital and were released Thursday, but had yet to appear on television.
A reporter for Al Arabiya was beaten by a group of pro-Mubarak demonstrators on Wednesday. His injuries were significant enough that he remains hospitalized, though his condition is not critical, Nakhle El Hage, director of news for the network said.
ABC News said that a group of “angry Egyptian men” carjacked one of its news crews and threatened to behead them.
In related news, CNN's Anderson Cooper reports he was attacked in Cairo for the second day in a row.