The National Republican Senatorial Campaign has developed a multi-level online computer game. The game, called "Mission Majority," is programmed to look like an 8-bit-era video game and features an elephant named Giopi (sounds like "GOP") as a playable character. The player runs and jumps, collecting "keys" to Republican victory and vanquishing bad guys like "taxers" and "mudslingers." A successfully destroyed baddie emits an embarrassing audio clip from Democrats like Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Mark Pryor, and Bruce Braley.
Here's what the game looks like in action:
To play, users must either enter their email address or log in with Facebook or Google Plus, so the purpose of the game is to gather names and contact information for potential volunteers and donors.
It's unclear how much the NRSC, which raises money on behalf of Republican Senate candidates, spent to develop the game. Spokesman Brad Dayspring says "it wasn't terribly expensive" given the low-quality graphics of the game, but did not elaborate on how much the game cost. "This game will ultimately be revenue positive," Dayspring said. "It’s going to generate revenue (especially when the merchandizing is factored in)."
Republicans are currently locked in a battle to take back control of the Senate from the Democrats (an act you can simulate in the game's final level by simply flipping six light switches from "donkey" to "elephant"). The New York Times gives the GOP a 64 percent chance of winning control, with a 36 percent chance Democrats retain control.