President Obama says he wants to have an "adult conversation" about entitlement reform. So far, the most prominent Democrat to comment on Ryan's budget has resorted to juvenile sloganeering.
The Democrats' leader in the House of Representatives tweets:
Leader Pelosi's office sends out a press release:
Following a long-honored tradition, Republicans are masking the true impact of just what the GOP FY 2012 budget will do. Chairman Paul Ryan and House Republicans may claim their budget leads us down a “Path to Prosperity,” but the rhetoric doesn’t match up with the reality. Here are the facts on just what the GOP budget means for our country:
· Path to eliminating guaranteed benefits for seniors under Medicare
· Path to subsidies to oil companies and giveaways to special interests
· Path to tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans and companies that ship jobs overseas
· Path to cuts in kids’ education
· Path to slashing support for seniors, children, and Americans with disabilities on Medicaid
It’s time for Republicans to join with Democrats to create jobs, strengthen the middle class, and responsibly reduce the deficit.
Yep, that's it. A few lines of trite sloganeering. No substantive public policy arguments. Did Pelosi really sign off on this? Or is this the work of a not-too-clever intern? Ryan explains what his budget does in the Wall Street Journal and in a YouTube video.