The Blog

Fort Hood Shooter Alive, In Stable Condition (Updates)

9:00 PM, Nov 5, 2009 • By MARY KATHARINE HAM
Widget tooltip
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts

At a thoroughly surprising evening press conference, Lt. Gen. Robert Cone at Fort Hood told media gathered that the shooter in today's attack, Malik Nidal Hasan, is not dead but in stable condition at the hospital. Cone said there was a "confusion at the hospital" and an officer had been with Hasan since his arrival at the hospital.

The female police officer who reportedly shot Hasan, who was originally reported dead, is also alive, but injured.

Hasan may be a man flagged by federal investigators six months ago for suspicious Internet postings in which he lauded suicide bombers. There was no official investigation opened:

Federal law enforcement officials say the suspected Fort Hood, Texas, shooter had come to their attention at least six months ago because of Internet postings that discussed suicide bombings and other threats.

The officials say the postings appeared to have been made by Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, who was killed during the shooting incident that left least 11 others dead and 31 wounded. The officials say they are still trying to confirm that he was the author. They say an official investigation was not opened.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case.

One of the Web postings that authorities reviewed is a blog that equates suicide bombers with a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save the lives of his comrades.

Hasan, whom early reports claimed was a convert to Islam, apparently was a lifelong Muslim, according to his cousin, interviewed by Shep Smith, below:

In another interview with a former Hasan colleague, Shep Smith learned this:

The colonel heard Hasan say that "maybe the Muslims should stand up and fight against the aggressor" in Iraq and Afghanistan. He also heard Hasan comment that he was "almost sort of happy" about a shooting at a Little Rock recruitment center.

The Washington Examiner spoke to the head of Hasan's mosque in Silver Spring, Md., where he was an attendee for six years, while he was stationed at Walter Reed:

Ishtiaq Chughtai, the president of the Muslim Community Center in Silver Spring, said Hasan attended prayers daily, often in his uniform, and showed no signs that he was conflicted about being deployed.

"It's very sad for our people, the American people," Chughtai said. "This is a tragedy that's going to stay in the back of our minds for a long time."

Hasan attended the Muslim center for about six years and seemed like a good person, Chughtai said. He gave people rides home and sometimes the money from his pocket.

But things appeared to go wrong for Hasan near the end of his time at Walter Reed. He received a poor evaluation while there.

Hasan, a psychiatrist, was promoted to Major and moved to Fort Hood, where he reportedly became upset about the possibility of being deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan:

My colleague James Dao has spoken with Nader Hasan, a cousin of the suspected gunman who said that the military psychiatrist had recently expressed deep concerns about being sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. Having counseled scores of returning soldiers with post-traumatic stress disorder, first at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington and more recently at Fort Hood, he knew all too well the terrifying realities of war, his cousin said.

"He was mortified by the idea of having to deploy," Mr. Hasan said. "He had people telling him on a daily basis the horrors they saw over there."