The Blog

Hamas Rejects Ceasefire; Decision for Ground Invasion Coming Soon

4:54 PM, Nov 18, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER
Widget tooltip
Single Page Print Larger Text Smaller Text Alerts

The terror group Hamas has reportedly rejected a ceasefire agreement with Israel.

"Senior Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzook said on Sunday evening that the terror group rejected two of Israel’s ceasefire demands out of hand, sinking talks in Egypt," the Times of Israel reports.

The first demand was that Hamas commit to creating a 1-kilometer buffer zone along the border with Gaza, beyond which people cannot enter. The width of the “no-man’s-land” currently varies at different points along the border, and averages about 300 meters.

The second condition laid down by Israel was that Hamas put an end to all weapons smuggling into the Gaza Strip.

Abu Marzook said that Israel’s conditions are meaningless and that Hamas demands an immediate ceasefire without any conditions.

With Hamas rejecting a ceasefire, tonight will likely be a critical decision-making moment in Israel. Netanyahu will have to decide whether to approve a ground invasion or seek to stop Hamas rocket fire through airstrikes alone -- which so far have slowed, but not stopped, Hamas attacks.

Recent Blog Posts