John Kerry says that President Obama offered him the secretary of state job a week before Susan Rice publicly pulled out of the running for the job.
“He called me, actually a week before Susan got out of the thing,” Kerry tells the Boston Globe. “He called me and said, ‘You’re my choice. I want you to do this.’ He asked me to keep it quiet. I did. I sat on it.”
At the time, Rice pulling out of the running for the top State Department job suggested that the position had simply fallen to Kerry, who had been in a neck-and-neck competition for the job. Now it seems that the White House allowed Susan Rice, the ambassador to the United Nations, to publicly save face by publicly withdrawing from a job that was never going to be offered to her in the first place.
Rice had come under fire for misleading the American public about what really happened in the terror attack against Americans on September 11 in Benghazi, Libya.
White House spokesman Jay Carney refused to comment on the ordeal at today's press briefing: